Tuesday, February 7, 2012

01/30/2012

Mi Querida Familia y amigos, Hello! What a week its been. I'm sure its been a good week for all of you too. Its always good to get emails and letters. Thanks so much. 

Thanks for the letter from Brock. He is the man and I'm sure he is doing work in Brazil.  There were a couple Brazilians in my last zone and they always talked about going on mini missions with the missionaries and having tons of success. I bet he is having a great time. What he said about handing out pamphlets to his companion was awesome! Kicking tail and taking names sounds like. Send him and Blake and Syd some love and thanks from Elder Burr.

This week was actually really similar to what Brock was doing. We had done some clean up work and followed through on some baptisms that were remaining from the previous district leader. It was good to have them experience baptism. It was a great experience for those that we baptized these past two weeks and a great experience for us. Its amazing how fast you get to know someone as a missionary, and grow to love them. You know their problems, fears, desires and everything in between. Its overwhelming sometimes because you just want them to invest themselves completely in the gospel, and let the Savior and his teachings help them. I have seen that these past two weeks, with people taking the crowning step towards experiencing what the atonement is. 

But, after those baptisms finished up, and all was said and done, the amount of contacting and finding new people that the previous elder did was almost zero. We contacted so many people this week and tried so hard to get references from the members. We have a couple people lined up in the works but nothing serious as of right now. We are busting it hard. Elder Rogers is the man. He testifies hard and keeps the lessons focused, but he is still working on the Spanish. Sometimes its awkward but we are getting through it. We are both really new. He cant really speak and I am still learning how to be a good teacher. I don't have the Kaye Hanson or the Jeff Kahn touch quite yet, and I dont know if I ever will, but that's the goal. Still working on my teaching, getting good at asking inspired, spirit directed questions. We are working and learning, but This next week should be a good one compared to the little success we had this past week. 

real quick, it is raining SO hard right now. Harder than I have ever seen in my life! The owner of the cyber even said wow. 

A couple stories. So we had about a half hour before our lunch appt so we decided to do some contacting. We contacted a few houses and ran into a SUPER J.W. She was super nice but when we tried to talk, she would interrupt us and just start saying how our Father Jehovah is loving. I asked her why she didn't know god´s name? If she had ever asked him. I told her that his name is Elohim and Jesus Christ is Jehovah. if we all knew Hebrew, we would all be Mormon. Finishing Jesus The Christ was so great because I knew exactly where she got confused and why and where that whole misconception comes from. Anywho, it wasn't an argument or anything just bore testimony, that's all. haha anyway we left, not getting anything out of it. (or so we thought) We went to lunch and when we were leaving, she was outside. She asked us to come over and help her and we thought, oh no..here we go again. She said something was inside her house and she needed our help to get it out. It was behind her huge heavy dresser.  We pulled the dresser back and there was a MASSIVE iguana type thingy. she went and got the machete and gave it to me.  She pulled the super long tail until his head came out. I macheted the head SO hard but nothing happened. I had to do it like 5 times until it died. We took it outside to get some pictures. It was nuts! 


Also, we found a couple great families. We met them towards the end of the week so they are really in the early stages still. but we´ll work with them this week and try and find some references too.

My study this week was great! I studied a lot about the priesthood. Really, that is the biggest difference between us and any other church. The Priesthood and the Book of Mormon, which came about because of the Priesthood. It was great to study from the bible and the book of Mormon, along with Jesus the Christ. I love the reference in 3 Nephi when Christ gives the authority to the apostles and they baptize. Its so clear and simple and easy to understand. I wish I would have brought my study journal with me to share a couple things I learned with you all. I would suggest that you study a little bit more about that. My understanding and level of gratitude for the priesthood increased and my testimony was strengthened. What a blessing it is. 

Not much to tell about this week. Sorry. Maybe more next week. 

I love you all. I think I say that every letter but Honesty is an important characteristic. :) I pray for you all daily! Thanks for everything.

Elder Burr



No comments:

Post a Comment